Digitalization is not a choice. It’s a task that every company must do to stay alive and be competitive in the new decade of the 2020s. The last decade saw digitalization from all directions, with fragmented software tools performing specific tasks in the construction process, yet being separated from each other, leading to failures and frustrations. The time has come for companies to embrace the Complete Construction Cloud that connects all people, processes, and data throughout the construction project lifecycle, and enhances delivery of all desired project expectations.
Table of content
1- 2020 engineering and construction industry outlook
2- Gain a competitive advantage with the Complete Construction Cloud
3- Become digitalization-driven in 2020
2020 engineering and construction industry outlook
The construction sector remains one of the top five industries driving the world economy. But the industry has an intractable productivity problem and, according to Reinventing construction: A route to higher productivity, a McKinsey Global Institute report, there is an opportunity to boost ‘value added’ by $1.6 trillion, but this can only occur if construction sector productivity catches up with that of the total economy.
2019 was a particular major year for the construction industry: the digital landscape continued its lightning evolution, future progress of construction digitalization continued its roll out, and emerging trends came into view. The building environment is amid a transformation indeed.
According to Deloitte, in 2019, the engineering and construction industry saw market growth overall, despite cost pressures, labor shortages, and trends toward fixed-bid projects, all of which may persist. However, in 2020, the industry will focus on mitigating these challenges while capitalizing on trends that help improve operations and deliver a competitive advantage.
Integrated, cloud-based software platforms go a long way in making it easier for project teams to improve operations by collaborating and sharing information throughout the project life cycle. This is just one example of how the industry can overcome these obstacles. By embracing the full scope of digitalization, the industry is poised to take a leap into the future.
Gain a competitive advantage with the Complete Construction Cloud
Construction is a complex business with a lot of stakeholders at play: project owners, architects, general contractors, sub-contractors, engineers, local government … the list goes on. When you build, you build something that needs to exist for at least decades. Furthermore, every project has its unique characteristics. Project management tools used on many projects are good at dividing the work up into chunks but less effective in making sure everyone’s work fits together. To deliver the building project that meets desired expectations, however, the integration of projects, enterprises, and teams can bring momentous advantages, particularly when handling complex construction developments. Information loss owing to platform and program switching among different teams is too great to afford.
MTWO is the Complete Construction Cloud for contractors, real estate developers, and project owners – one centralized platform for all stakeholders to collaborate at every phase of the building process. When you put all your people, processes, and data into one place, you streamline project workflows, facilitate the dissemination of crucial communication, and maximize productivity at every turn.
5D BIM project lifecycle management
From initial concept to completion – one cloud platform for the whole project loop
MTWO is the most integrated BIM-based solution for the construction sector, helping you to manage everything in one place and ensuring that all projects are working from one central database. This not only makes an efficient implementation phase with maximum quality and safety, but also contributes to smoother operation and maintenance. All phases of a project are interconnected with one single source of truth. Everyone has the same data, positively impacting project delivery.
In the project planning phase:
By using MTWO 5D BIM simulation, all relevant stakeholders can partner up at the beginning of the process, explore design alternatives and forecast their cost and time before selecting the optimum plan for the project, avoiding potential risks with their associated costs and extra time.
Based on the verified BIM model data, MTWO saves time by producing automatic model-based takeoffs and creating accurate construction estimates from previous projects. With MTWO's visual Gantt Chart and LOB (Line of Balance), potential conflicts will be headed off before they are allowed to become an issue.
The entire process from tender specification to the assessment of incoming tenders becomes far more efficient with MTWO. All bidders are invited to one platform via portals for quotation and MTWO will provide a smart tendering price analysis. Once the contracts are signed, different versions of cost data can be easily traced back and compared.
The building phase:
Multiple versions of schedules can be compared easily in Gantt Chart. Various project site reports will be uploaded to one platform for all relevant stakeholders to review or download. MTWO desktop and mobile applications provide user-friendly interfaces for progress and defect issues records update anytime, anywhere.
Not only can you develop comprehensive procurement lists within the platform, you can also generate procurement schedules and integrate them with project timelines for just-in-time delivery of building items.
For the operation phase:
MTWO enables teams to maintain access to crucial data during operation and maintenance phases. Supplier and material data are integrated into BIM models, and this perspective helps users manage facilities more effectively.
Real-time enterprise-wide collaboration on the cloud with trusted data
Communication is the cornerstone of corporate success and accurate, up-to-date data is the cornerstone of efficient communication. Conventionally, data has been collected from project management tools used on many projects. As a result, data ends up in siloes, and up till now, cross-connecting and referencing data has been time-consuming. MTWO stores all enterprise data in one single database, providing one continuous data stream, allowing teams to collaborate seamlessly at every level of the construction planning and execution process.
Feature highlights and core advantages include:
1) Workflow management: Visual workflows allows for teams, stakeholders, and relevant personnel to enhance approval efficiency based on project construction data. Reports are generated from the comments and data input of relevant stakeholders to record the communication history. The workflows are integrated with your construction data, saving lots of time for applicants and empowering data-driven decision for decision makers.
2) Enterprise data management: MTWO stores and refines data throughout an entire project lifecycle in a single database, providing up-to-date information as your project progresses. Users intuitively utilize past results to establish better processes for future projects.
3) Agile document and contract management: With MTWO's comprehensive document library, all users have one central location to manage and share records across the entire asset lifecycle. Once documents are uploaded, users can connect them to relevant modules.
4) Business partner management: MTWO keeps track of all your interactions with business partners. It stores and organizes contact details of relevant personnel in all organizations affiliated with the project, resulting in one consolidated point of reference for partnership status. MTWO records the project execution performance of your partners, providing reference for your future bidding evaluation. Your business partners are automatically recorded and classified based on your own classification and qualification standards.
MTWO Control Tower: information at a glance & flexile reporting
Meaningful metrics, displayed through the MTWO Control Tower, gives each team member the real-time information necessary to know the project performance in scope, costs, schedule, safety, quality, etc., both overall and in detail, and decide next steps. It has extensive analytics and reporting features that enable project teams to explore data dynamically. Details are easily drilled down and reports quickly generated from either standard or customized configured templates.
Real-time dashboards and reports on project performance allow decision-makers to address problems before they become critical. Everyone is kept up-to-date on the latest information available to manage the project.
Reduce manual work and automize processes with McTWO
We combine our industry knowledge and expertise with AI technologies to automate operations, turn data into insights to drive real-time decision-making, and enhance productivity of users by eliminating tedious routine tasks. In 2019, we delivered 60 functions, available in 9 modules for 5 types of users: estimators, schedulers, procurement managers, onsite engineers and project managers.
Our artificial intelligence innovation highlights and core benefits include:
1) Automate workflows and processes by McTWO Machine Learning and Deep Learning. By analyzing your historical data, McTWO provides predictions, forecasts, and recommendations. For instance, McTWO predicts the impact on project cost and schedule that defects or issues bring to the project.
2) Access project information fast with McTWO Chatbot. It conducts time-consuming tasks such as business partner evaluation, material cost calculation, and project milestones with no clicks.
3) Swift onsite inspection and reporting with McTWO Voice Assistant. Equipped with NLP (Natural Language Processing) technologies, McTWO supports onsite staff during inspections or project performance updating. Photos of defects can be attached with the reports. Real-time information is shared seamlessly between the field and the office.
4) Enhance your vision on the jobsite with iTWOlens. Based on the powerful integration of Microsoft’s HoloLens and RIB’s MTWO Cloud, iTWOlens enables MTWO on site. Map out the physical along with BIM objects, visualize future construction, all the while working hands-free. Safety checks and observations can be reported much more easily, and the latest project information is always made available.
Become digitalization-driven in 2020!
Digitalizing project lifecycles and enterprises is no longer a choice; it is part and parcel of today’s construction business. Companies that successfully create and execute a strategy to embed digitalization into their businesses will likely be better positioned to survive the cost pressures and labor shortages that currently inundate the industry. As Juha Rissanen, Development Director of YIT Group - the largest Finnish and significant North European construction company, put it, “how to renew the construction (industry)? We need some integration to core business processes and management systems. We need it, otherwise we will fail. We need end-to-end business processes and that's what we are looking for. And naturally this is our solid foundation and evolution. What are we going to do? Sustainability, urbanization, digitalization.”
If you are ready to simplify your work, reduce costs, enhance the quality of your projects and start your end-to-end digital project management and enterprise digitalization journey with the MTWO Complete Construction Cloud, request a demo TODAY!
Don’t forget to share this blog!